What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is a common-sense notion: Economic prosperity, ecological health and a vibrant society not only go together, they depend on one another. Sustainability happens when these three areas overlap. When we are able to build our economy, environment and community all together, we can achieve the quality of life that all people deserve.
Sustainability forms the foundation of our work at the Izaak Walton League. It includes:
- Preserving our natural resource heritage and nurturing people's appreciation for the outdoors.
- Reducing the impact of our human numbers and consumption patterns.
- Promoting communities that provide for their needs and those of future generations and other species.
- Reducing our ecological footprint on the planet.
We do this by:
- Offering information on how population growth and development affect the quality of life of all species, worldwide.
- Identifying practical ways to consider profits, people and the planet when making choices.
- Educating our members, the public and decision-makers and encouraging them to work for a sustainable world.
For more information, read our What is Sustainability? fact sheet (PDF link).