There is an ocean’s worth of information about water out there. The Save Our Streams Library offers time-tested materials that can help make you a stream expert.
Stream Monitoring Materials
- Key to Stream Macroinvertebrates (PDF link): This 1-pager walks you through identifying bugs in your creek with detailed illustrations and tips like looking at the number of legs and tails.
- Sources of Pollution: Point and Nonpoint: When asked to picture pollution entering rivers, most people think of factory pipes spewing foul-smelling chemicals into the water. But the most significant threat to water quality today is pollution without an easily identifiable source. Learn more about pollution sources.
- What Is a Wetland?: Healthy wetlands are essential to healthy fish and wildlife populations – and a healthy economy. Learn more about wetland functions here.
- Water Words Dictionary: From aquifers to wetlands (sorry, no "z" words in our dictionary yet), we'll walk you through the many words that describe the health of your waterways and how they function.
- Key to Stream Macroinvertebrates (PDF link): This 1-pager walks you though identifying bugs in your creek with detailed illustrations and tips like looking at the number of legs and tails.
- Macroinvertebrates Scale Chart (PDF link): A 1 page key that gives users a general idea of what size to expect for each macroinvertebrate.
- How to ID Macros (PDF link): New to macroinvertebrate ID? Check out this quick guide to get you started.